What are the documents needed to deduct medical expenses?
The documents needed to deduct medical expenses include the following:
- Name and address of each person or entity you paid
- Amount and date of each payment
You should also keep a statement or itemized invoice showing:
- What medical care was received
- Who received the care
- The nature and purpose of any medical expenses
- The amount of the other medical expenses
You will need to keep the above documents for each medical expense you incur. You do not send these records with your return, but you should keep them with your tax records.
Find more information about medical expense deductions.
Was this topic helpful?