Explore All Topics

I received a corrected 2022 W-2 in 2023. Can I report the W-2 correction on my 2023 return?

1 min read

1 min read

No. You can’t correct the mistake on your 2023 return. Instead, you might need to amend your 2022 return using Form 1040X.

You should file a 1040X amendment if your corrected W-2:

  • Increases your 2022 tax liability
  • Affects your allowable credits or deductions

You can’t e-file a 1040X, so you’ll have to mail it to the IRS. Attach a copy of your corrected W-2 to the amended return. Keep in mind that you might also need to file an amendment to your state return.

Was this topic helpful?